[SATLUG] Time Warner Corralling bandwidth use

Henry Pugsley henry.pugsley at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 13:06:28 CDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 10:31 AM, N. Turnage <pixelnate at gmail.com> wrote:
<snip>
> This thread has moved *way* off topic. Neither political party controls the
> local government. The question is how do we best fight TW's bandwidth caps?
>

> ~Nate
> --

If you're a Time Warner customer, then cancel your account and move to
DSL/FiOS.  The only way to get the attention of large corporations is
to hit their bottom line.  If you have friends/family who do not
understand bandwidth and simply go for the cheapest plan, educate them
about the potential cost of going over and encourage them to change
providers.  With services like Hulu, Netflix, BlockBuster, etc
streaming high def video, even normal usage without p2p traffic can
put you over the limits on the smaller plans.

If you want to be more subversive or don't have an option on Internet
connectivity, get the plan you can afford and make sure you use max
bandwidth every month without going over :)  For double bonus, use
microsoft.com as your bit source and keep downloading XP SP2 over and
over again.

-Henry