[SATLUG] Grub Boot Loader and Pushing Linux Images

Sean I siffland at nerdshack.com
Wed Apr 8 19:29:50 CDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 12:39 AM, ed <horned0wl93 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, and...HELP!!  Please?
>
> I'm currently doing a project which requires, among other things, proof that
> an Ubuntu Linux image can be pushed across a network to several other
> machines.   My first tests have failed.   If you would, please read the
> whole situation, and then offer any advice you please...
>

> 1.  Is there a good piece of F/OSS software that can handle a push like I'm
> trying to perform in a Debian/Ubuntu-type Linux environment?  If so, can
> someone please point me at it?  If not, what would you recommend?

I might have miss read what you are trying to do but the program
systemimager can take an image of a system and distribute it across
the network.  We tested it at work before deciding on storix for
network distribution of our baseline operating system.

http://wiki.systemimager.org/index.php/Main_Page

Here is gentoo's bootloader setup page (grub and lilo).

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=10

It is not ubuntu, but grub is grub, on a side note i would recommend
(regardless if you like the distro or not) reading the gentoo hand
book and doing a grueling install of it if you would like to learn a
little more about basic OS stuff and compiling the Linux kernel
itself, granted not as much as Linux from scratch.

Sean