[SATLUG] Time Warner Corralling bandwidth use

Henry Pugsley henry.pugsley at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 22:14:20 CDT 2009

The problem is that the ISPs have been fooling themselves and
customers for years and now they are paying the price. They give
someone a 6Mbit pipe then bank on the fact that they won't use it and
penalize the ones who do. If you really mean "10 gigabytes per month"
instead of "6 megabits per second" then sell it as that.  I believe
it's called truth in advertising and so far no one has enforced it.

Hosting providers sell bandwidth by the gigabyte instead of gigabits
per second, so why shouldn't residentials ISPs do the same?  Yeah it
will take some work to acclimate consumers to the new arrangement but
at least they won't be lying anymore.  Any ISP who sells bandwidth in
megabits per second instead of gigabytes per month should expect to be
screwed.

-Henry

>>> http://www.sanantonio.gov/yourcity/meetingconduct.asp
>>> http://www.sanantonio.gov/yourcity/meetingappear.asp
>> If I understand correctly, the next City Council Meeting, "A" Session,
>> is tomorrow at 9:00am; and the later "Citizens to be Heard" meeting is
>> on the same day at 6:00pm.  Less than a day is pretty short notice, so,
>> we might want to consider next week at either the "A" or the "Citizens"
>> sessions -- or maybe a few of us at each.  Thoughts...?
>>
>> Cheers;
>> Ed
>

> Well I am free then.  Although I am not sure what more I could add to an
> argument other than "Don't do it".  I am still looking for information
> myself.
>
> Sam

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it" - Alan Kay