[SATLUG] Time Warner Corralling bandwidth use

Henry Pugsley henry.pugsley at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 14:01:35 CDT 2009


On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 10:53 PM, Alan Lesmerises
<alesmerises at satx.rr.com> wrote:
> I agree with the first part of you comments completely.  They have been
> taking our money for Internet service for years, but not plowing enough of
> it back into the infrastructure to upgrade it and expand its capacity as
> usage has increased.  Instead, they've pocketed the excess in the name of
> short-term profits and expect us to pick up the tab for their
> short-sightedness.
>
> However, I disagree somewhat with your last statement.  They still need to
> state download speeds, otherwise you could be forced to wait an hour to
> download something that takes only seconds now.  Our time (and time for the
> computer) costs us money, too.  I sure don't want to go back to dial-up ...

Yeah, they really need to state both and explain the difference.  The
problem with high throughput and low transfer is people will user
their allocation without realizing it.  If you have a 10GB cap on a
20Mbit circuit, you can blow through that in a couple hours at full
bore.  It might be better if people actually had to wait because then
it would remind them how much they are transferring.

The real problem is that the ISPs have been using throughput as the
metric of how good their service is for years, but now they are going
to start penalizing people for excessive transfer.  I have friends in
Australia, and their ISPs sell Internet packages based on transfer,
not throughput.  If you exceed your transfer limit for the month, you
either can't use the service or get throttled to something like
512kbps until the month resets.  There is going to be a huge consumer
backlash when they change paradigms because the average Joe doesn't
know or care about the difference .. they just want fast Internet that
they don't have to worry about.  Guess we're all a bit spoiled when it
comes to Internet service.

-Henry

>
> Al Lesmerises
>
>
> Henry Pugsley wrote:
>>
>> The problem is that the ISPs have been fooling themselves and
>> customers for years and now they are paying the price. They give
>> someone a 6Mbit pipe then bank on the fact that they won't use it and
>> penalize the ones who do. If you really mean "10 gigabytes per month"
>> instead of "6 megabits per second" then sell it as that.  I believe
>> it's called truth in advertising and so far no one has enforced it.
>>
>> Hosting providers sell bandwidth by the gigabyte instead of gigabits
>> per second, so why shouldn't residentials ISPs do the same?  Yeah it
>> will take some work to acclimate consumers to the new arrangement but
>> at least they won't be lying anymore.  Any ISP who sells bandwidth in
>> megabits per second instead of gigabytes per month should expect to be
>> screwed.
>>
>> -Henry
>>
>> On 4/8/09, Samuel Leon <satlug at net153.net> wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> ed wrote:
>>>
>>>>
>>>> Hi All;
>>>>
>>>> Here's the current City Council Agenda, Rules and Requirements:
>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> http://www.sanantonio.gov/yourcity/meetings.asp
>>>>> http://www.sanantonio.gov/yourcity/meetingconduct.asp
>>>>> http://www.sanantonio.gov/yourcity/meetingappear.asp
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>> If I understand correctly, the next City Council Meeting, "A" Session,
>>>> is tomorrow at 9:00am; and the later "Citizens to be Heard" meeting is
>>>> on the same day at 6:00pm.  Less than a day is pretty short notice, so,
>>>> we might want to consider next week at either the "A" or the "Citizens"
>>>> sessions -- or maybe a few of us at each.  Thoughts...?
>>>>
>>>> Cheers;
>>>> Ed
>>>>
>>>
>>> Well I am free then.  Although I am not sure what more I could add to an
>>> argument other than "Don't do it".  I am still looking for information
>>> myself.
>>>
>>> Sam
>>> --
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> SATLUG mailing list
>>> SATLUG at satlug.org
>>> http://alamo.satlug.org/mailman/listinfo/satlug to unsubscribe
>>> Powered by Rackspace (www.rackspace.com)
>
> --
> _______________________________________________
> SATLUG mailing list
> SATLUG at satlug.org
> http://alamo.satlug.org/mailman/listinfo/satlug to unsubscribe
> Powered by Rackspace (www.rackspace.com)
>



-- 
"The best way to predict the future is to invent it" - Alan Kay


More information about the SATLUG mailing list