[SATLUG] Time Warner Corralling bandwidth use

Henry Pugsley henry.pugsley at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 18:34:34 CDT 2009


If ISPs gambled in Vegas the same way they gamble on bandwidth usage,
they would be bankrupt or lying in a ditch somewhere in Death Valley.
Consumers need to be educated on how this stuff works so they can hold
the ISPs accountable for what they promise, whether it is explicit or
implicit. I'm surprised none of them have been slapped with a billion
dollar lawsuit for false advertising or misleading business practices
yet.

-Henry





On 4/9/09, Robert Pearson <e2eiod at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/9/09, Henry Pugsley <henry.pugsley at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 10:53 PM, Alan Lesmerises
>>  <alesmerises at satx.rr.com> wrote:
>>  > I agree with the first part of you comments completely.  They have been
>>  > taking our money for Internet service for years, but not plowing enough
>> of
>>  > it back into the infrastructure to upgrade it and expand its capacity
>> as
>>  > usage has increased.  Instead, they've pocketed the excess in the name
>> of
>>  > short-term profits and expect us to pick up the tab for their
>>  > short-sightedness.
>>  >
>>  > However, I disagree somewhat with your last statement.  They still need
>> to
>>  > state download speeds, otherwise you could be forced to wait an hour to
>>  > download something that takes only seconds now.  Our time (and time for
>> the
>>  > computer) costs us money, too.  I sure don't want to go back to dial-up
>> ...
>>
>>  Yeah, they really need to state both and explain the difference.  The
>>  problem with high throughput and low transfer is people will user
>>  their allocation without realizing it.  If you have a 10GB cap on a
>>  20Mbit circuit, you can blow through that in a couple hours at full
>>  bore.  It might be better if people actually had to wait because then
>>  it would remind them how much they are transferring.
>>
>>  The real problem is that the ISPs have been using throughput as the
>>  metric of how good their service is for years, but now they are going
>>  to start penalizing people for excessive transfer.  I have friends in
>>  Australia, and their ISPs sell Internet packages based on transfer,
>>  not throughput.  If you exceed your transfer limit for the month, you
>>  either can't use the service or get throttled to something like
>>  512kbps until the month resets.  There is going to be a huge consumer
>>  backlash when they change paradigms because the average Joe doesn't
>>  know or care about the difference .. they just want fast Internet that
>>  they don't have to worry about.  Guess we're all a bit spoiled when it
>>  comes to Internet service.
>>
>>  -Henry
>>
>
> You are right on about this.
> However, it is a ploy to drive prices and revenues up.
> Give away the service for $14.95 a month, which is basically just a
> connect charge to the user, and throttle them where it hurts; in the
> use of the connect.
> You will be able to get your old fast service back... for a price
>
> I'm not sure what kind of a backlash will happen. I see younger people
> thinking a $300 a month cell phone bill is nothing. They would rather
> pay the cell phone bill than their rent.
> First it was Long Distance, now cell phone revenues are dropping. How
> are the RBOCs and ILECs to pay for bloated management and
> super-structure? Internet revenues!
>
> The same people who screwed you on POTS service by leasing you your
> plain black dial handset for 40 years and charging you minutes on your
> cell phone when someone calls you
> and who control the Information infrastructure superhighways still
> have no imagination and no idea how to make a profit. Kind of like the
> oil companies...
>
> I really like what Secretary of Defense Robert Gates is doing with the
> Defense budget. It means he won't be around much longer. Too bad. His
> reforms are long overdue.
> --
> _______________________________________________
> SATLUG mailing list
> SATLUG at satlug.org
> http://alamo.satlug.org/mailman/listinfo/satlug to unsubscribe
> Powered by Rackspace (www.rackspace.com)
>

-- 
Sent from Gmail for mobile | mobile.google.com

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it" - Alan Kay


More information about the SATLUG mailing list