[SATLUG] Time Warner Update Yesterday.

David Kowis dkowis at shlrm.org
Fri Apr 10 18:06:41 CDT 2009

Herb Cee wrote:
> David Kowis wrote:
>> bill wrote:
>>> Time Warner Cable Earnings Refute Bandwidth Cap Economics
>>>
>>> http://blog.wired.com/business/2009/04/time-warner-cab.html
>>>

>>> GREAT ARTICLE. A snippet.
>>>

>>> "The company claims its capped rates are fairer than flat rates because
>>> people who use less bandwidth stand to get a break as the company shifts
>>> its costs to others who use the network more."
>>> "There is only one small problem: A close look at Time Warner Cable's
>>> books shows no significant link between its high-speed data costs and
>>> network usage."
>>> "For 2008, the most recent period available, Time Warner Cable reported
>>> that its high-speed data costs actually declined by 12 percent to $146
>>> million. Meanwhile subscribers increased by more than 10 percent to 8.4
>>> million, and high-speed data revenues climbed to more than $4 billion. "
>>>

>>> "UPDATE: Since this article was first published, Time Warner Cable has
>>> updated its pricing scheme." SEE BELOW.
>>>
>>> "Bowing to Pressure, Time Warner Alters Broadband Caps"
>>>  http://blog.wired.com/business/2009/04/bowing-to-press.html
>>>

>> I remember reading about this a while ago, and I started up vnstat on
>> my router.
>>
>> http://shlrm.org/vnstat/
>>
>> Thar be my cumulative bandwidth usage for about a year, month by month.
> Hey David can you tell me how to do that to see what I use on my DSL? I
> can run the CLI but only with someone supplying the code I still have
> that stuff to learn in the 80 to 100yr period of this trip. I would
> appreciate it.
> thanks

I'm using vnstat, then there's some php scripts that can read the vnstat
output and produce the php page that you see.

http://www.sqweek.com/sqweek/index.php?p=1

There's the PHP scripts.

Of course, you need to run this all on your router computer. Vnstat is
running on the interface to the world for me. So if you're behind a
wireless router or somethign like that, this will not provide results
for that, but only for the computer you're running vnstat on.

Unfortunately, right now I don't have time to elaborate on how I set it
up, however, I can help with it after this weekend :)

- --
David Kowis

www.campaignforliberty.com - Freedom is popular!
www.sourcemage.org  - SourceMage GNU/Linux