[SATLUG] Getting around Spamhaus + Yahoo mail

Geoff geofff at w5omr.shacknet.nu
Sat Apr 11 00:07:31 CDT 2009

Alex Bartonek wrote:
> Kinda nerdy here... but my home webserver emails me at 8am, 12noon and 4pm telling me its running.  Then I get an email @ I dunno.. I forget the time, it tells me backups are complete.  For a while my emails have been very slow.  Being that I can ssh into my home webserver from my phone I know its working so I havent really diagnosed it until now.
>
> After looking at the log file I see that yahoo/Spamhaus is blocking dynamic ip/residential ip's from sending mail directly to their smtp servers.
>
> Any other way around this?

You don't say what your mail profile is.  I'm running sendmail and postfix.

If you are doing something similar, look in
/etc/mail
look at
mailertable
and start adding domains that aren't covered in the following format:

# send all email for a special host to another host or to a specific IP:
#host.sub.org           smtp:host.domain.com
#host.sub.org           smtp:[192.168.0.1]
att.net                 smtp:[smtp-server.satx.rr.com]
attnet                  smtp:[smtp-server.satx.rr.com]
googlemail.com          smtp:[smtp-server.satx.rr.com]
gmail.com               smtp:[smtp-server.satx.rr.com]
etex.net                smtp:[smtp-server.satx.rr.com]
centex.net              smtp:[smtp-server.satx.rr.com]
yahoo.com               smtp:[smtp-server.satx.rr.com]

etc, etc.

Whenever you get a black-listed, or residential-blocked message, add
that domain to your isp list (as above).

Hope that helps.

-Geoff (in Baja Spring, TX)