[SATLUG] Time Warner Update Yesterday.

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Sat Apr 11 17:46:44 CDT 2009

>> I remember reading about this a while ago, and I started up vnstat on
>> my router.
>>
>> http://shlrm.org/vnstat/
>>
>> Thar be my cumulative bandwidth usage for about a year, month by month.
>>

> Hey David can you tell me how to do that to see what I use on my DSL? I
> can run the CLI but only with someone supplying the code I still have
> that stuff to learn in the 80 to 100yr period of this trip. I would
> appreciate it.
> thanks

I have an older linksys that I flashed with a third-party Linux distro,
I wonder if this distro can be tweaked to do the vnstat accounting and reporting.
I'm using Hyperwrt 2.1b1 + Thibor15c. Does anyone have some experience with this?
Right now it has the ability to run sshd and I can log into it from my private site
to get some sort of shell interface:

BusyBox v1.1.2 (2006.04.29-14:07+0000) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

# help

Built-in commands:
        . : alias bg break cd chdir continue eval exec exit export false
        fg hash help jobs kill let local pwd read readonly return set
        shift times trap true type ulimit umask unalias unset wait

But I think this would need some serious kernel surgery to provide vnstat service.
I wonder if it is possible, though. Any router hackers out there? Maybe someone
already made a distro that can do this on my router.

-b.