[SATLUG] Time Warner Update Yesterday.

Samuel Leon satlug at net153.net
Sun Apr 12 17:10:03 CDT 2009

Borries Demeler wrote:
>>> I remember reading about this a while ago, and I started up vnstat on
>>> my router.
>>>
>>> http://shlrm.org/vnstat/
>>>
>>> Thar be my cumulative bandwidth usage for about a year, month by month.
>>>

>> Hey David can you tell me how to do that to see what I use on my DSL? I
>> can run the CLI but only with someone supplying the code I still have
>> that stuff to learn in the 80 to 100yr period of this trip. I would
>> appreciate it.
>> thanks
>
> I have an older linksys that I flashed with a third-party Linux distro,
> I wonder if this distro can be tweaked to do the vnstat accounting and reporting.
> I'm using Hyperwrt 2.1b1 + Thibor15c. Does anyone have some experience with this?
> Right now it has the ability to run sshd and I can log into it from my private site
> to get some sort of shell interface:
>
> BusyBox v1.1.2 (2006.04.29-14:07+0000) Built-in shell (ash)
> Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.
>
> # help
>
> Built-in commands:
> -------------------
>         . : alias bg break cd chdir continue eval exec exit export false
>         fg hash help jobs kill let local pwd read readonly return set
>         shift times trap true type ulimit umask unalias unset wait
>
> But I think this would need some serious kernel surgery to provide vnstat service.
> I wonder if it is possible, though. Any router hackers out there? Maybe someone
> already made a distro that can do this on my router.
>
> -b.

The tomato firmware has some already included.  Alittle bit different
than vnstat though.  http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato

Or if one has an old computer laying around they could install one of
the many firewall distros.  I think almost all of them come with traffic
accounting programs.  I know Smoothwall does:
http://community.smoothwall.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=31111

Sam