[SATLUG] open DNS Resolver

Leif Johnson leif at paisd.net
Mon Apr 13 13:26:33 CDT 2009

I've managed DNS for my school district for some time, but never considered
myself an expert. Now I have a complaint that I'm running an "open DNS
resolver" Can someone point me to a guide that can help me secure this a bit?

A Quote from an email from theNET UT OTS (-my parent)
"we are working with a number of large ISPs on a recent DNS amplifier attack
and the following systems are open DNS resolvers that appeared to have been
used in the attack:" (My 2 DNS IPs included)

[leif at amberjack ~]$ rpm -qa|grep bind
bind-utils-9.2.5-3
ypbind-1.17.2-3
bind-libs-9.2.5-3
bind-9.2.5-3