[SATLUG] Time Warner Speed Cap

Geoff geofff at w5omr.shacknet.nu
Thu Apr 16 19:13:09 CDT 2009

Have not seen this posted, so am doing so, in case no one has seen/heard
it...
The time of the posting isn't given, but based on the time of the
comments, I'd say roughly around 3:15pm.
-Geoff

from mysa.com

By David Saleh Rauf - Express-News

Time Warner Cable Inc. announced plans Thursday to shelve a tier-based
metered billing trial program in four cities, including San Antonio and
Austin.

Earlier this month, Time Warner, which has more than 8 million customers
nationwide, announced plans to make San Antonio one of its first markets
to try “consumption-based billing,” an economic model that allows
Internet providers to charge users varying rates depending on usage.
Three other cities — including Austin, Rochester, N.Y. and Greensboro
N.C. — were also tapped for trial programs.

In a statement released on Twitter just minutes ago, one of the
company's top executive's said “it is clear from the public response
over the last two weeks that there is a great deal of misunderstanding
about our plans to roll out additional tests on consumption based billing.”

“As a result, we will not proceed with implementation of additional
tests until further consultation with our customers and other interested
parties, ensuring that community needs are being met ... We want to do
everything we can to inform our customers of our plans and have the
benefit of their views as part of our testing process,” wrote Glen Britt.

Critics of a bill-by-the-byte economic model fired back Thursday, saying
unprecedented consumer backlash and the prospect of federal legislation
that would derail any plans to cap usage and charge overage fees caused
Time Warner to rethink their plans.

“The public outcry was so large,” said Jerri Kaiser, a spokeswoman for
U.S. Rep. Eric Massa, D-N.Y., who plans to file legislation that would
prohibit unfair tiered price structures from internet providers.