[SATLUG] OT: Oracle & Sun

afcasta at satx.rr.com afcasta at satx.rr.com
Mon Apr 20 19:00:39 CDT 2009

Don Wright <satlug at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 13:21:08 -0400, "scs at worldlinkisp.com"
> <scs at worldlinkisp.com> wrote:

> >Oracle has agreed to buy Sun, another chance to ring the register
> >if you have shares and missed the IBM run-up opportunity.

> And say goodbye to OpenSolaris, free Java, MySQL, ZFS, and the policy
> that Sun patents wouldn't be used to attack Linux.

I'm not sure I agree with that .... Oracle has been doing their
development work on Linux for years, and actively markets a build
that started as RHEL as Oracle Unbreakable Linux:

http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/linux/index.html

When I was installing Oracle 10g Applications Server on one system
and Oracle 10g Database server on an 8 core server, Oracle was very
supportive of RHEL 5.2 at the time.  Although they don't support it
directly, I've had them help me tweak the kernel on Scientifc Linux
for Oracle Database Server as well.  Of course, a metalink account
and paid up maintenance is required for this help, but they were a
lot easier to work with than Sun.  At least their hold music varies
from Handel's Water Music instead of just playing it over and over
as SunSolve does.

That said, I still prefer a Linux system with either MySQL or
Postgres.  Be interesting to see what Oracle does with MySQL, though.
At least they can't do any worse with it than NuSphere did.

> And for you old timers, goodbye to sunsite.whatever.tld. Heck, as soon
> as his lawyers think of it, Larry the E will probably seek revenues from
> all animated screen savers.

The site I used the most was sunsite.unc.edu, even back in gopher days, but
that's been called ibiblio.org for years:

afcasta at shoebox:~$ nslookup sunsite.unc.edu
Server:		24.93.41.127
Address:	24.93.41.127#53

Name:	sunsite.unc.edu
Address: 152.46.7.80