[SATLUG] OT: Oracle & Sun

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Mon Apr 20 20:39:07 CDT 2009

on 4/20/09 1:30 PM, Don Wright said:

> And say goodbye to OpenSolaris, free Java, MySQL, ZFS, and the policy
> that Sun patents wouldn't be used to attack Linux.

IMO, MySQL will probably be used as a gateway database, to introduce
people to Oracle.  As such, it will need to remain freely available.
Otherwise, it's too dangerous to sell off (it could become more of a
real threat for their cash cow), and it's too dangerous to kill (the
developers will just fork off).

OpenSolaris and ZFS will probably get folded into their
Oracle-as-an-appliance device, and dtrace and mdb, etc... will likewise
be kept and folded into the software.

Java is now a standard, but Oracle will be able to have more control
where it goes.  Moreover, they have mission-critical components that are
built in Java, so they need to control their own destiny there.  Again,
I think Java will be kept around as a gateway to other Oracle products,
so I don't think it's going away -- there's too much of a community of
developers there that they'd be chucking out with the bathwater.

What I think will go away quickly is the SPARC hardware stuff (probably
sold to Fujitsu, who already has their own line of SPARC hardware), and
I think they'll probably curtail selling standard servers.  Their
hardware will be used to run their software on their OS, and provide
their own storage on their own platform as well.

Brad Knowles
<brad at shub-internet.org>        If you like Jazz/R&B guitar, check out
LinkedIn Profile:                 my friend bigsbytracks on YouTube at
<http://tinyurl.com/y8kpxu>    http://preview.tinyurl.com/bigsbytracks