[SATLUG] OT: Oracle & Sun

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Mon Apr 20 20:39:07 CDT 2009

on 4/20/09 1:30 PM, Don Wright said:

> And say goodbye to OpenSolaris, free Java, MySQL, ZFS, and the policy
> that Sun patents wouldn't be used to attack Linux.

IMO, MySQL will probably be used as a gateway database, to introduce
people to Oracle.  As such, it will need to remain freely available.
Otherwise, it's too dangerous to sell off (it could become more of a
real threat for their cash cow), and it's too dangerous to kill (the
developers will just fork off).

OpenSolaris and ZFS will probably get folded into their
Oracle-as-an-appliance device, and dtrace and mdb, etc... will likewise
be kept and folded into the software.

Java is now a standard, but Oracle will be able to have more control
where it goes.  Moreover, they have mission-critical components that are
built in Java, so they need to control their own destiny there.  Again,
I think Java will be kept around as a gateway to other Oracle products,
so I don't think it's going away -- there's too much of a community of
developers there that they'd be chucking out with the bathwater.

What I think will go away quickly is the SPARC hardware stuff (probably
sold to Fujitsu, who already has their own line of SPARC hardware), and
I think they'll probably curtail selling standard servers.  Their
hardware will be used to run their software on their OS, and provide
their own storage on their own platform as well.

--
Brad Knowles
<brad at shub-internet.org>        If you like Jazz/R&B guitar, check out