[SATLUG] Upgrading from VMPlayer 2.5.1 to 2.5.2 woes

Jeremy Mann jeremymann at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 10:18:13 CDT 2009

Good morning all, I got a weird problem. A user updated their machine
to CentOS 5.3 which meant the new 2.6.18-128 kernel. So I downloaded
the new version of VMPlayer 2.5.2 and install it on his machine. Now
the problem.... I see 6 posts about this on the VMware Community pages
and nobody has answered it. When we try to load his VMX file, I get
this:

"Error while powering on: VMware Player cannot connect to the virtual
machine. Make sure you have the rights to run the program and to
access all directories it uses and rights to access all directories
for temporary files."

User permissions are good, and the vm binaries are setuid root. I get
this error if I'm his user or as root.

I have since uninstalled 2.5.2 several times, and even went back to
2.5.1.. All instances I get this same error message. As a test to see
if his image was somehow corrupted, I copied it to another machine.
There the image loaded normally.

What have I done so far?

Well, I've recompiled the VM modules from source (I remember older
versions you needed to run vmware-config.pl with a new kernel, now its
vmware-modconfig), removed by hand all traces of VMPlayer and
reinstalled version 2.5.2.

Nothing seems to work and it looks like I am one of only 6 people that
have reported this problem to VMware.

--
Jeremy Mann
jeremy at biochem.uthscsa.edu