[SATLUG] A Cyber-Attack on an American City

dkowis dkowis at shlrm.org
Fri Apr 24 14:44:38 CDT 2009

On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 07:47:13 -0500, Geoff <geofff at w5omr.shacknet.nu> wrote:
> Mike Swearingen wrote:
>> Not sure how early his report really was, considering the cut occurred
>> on April 9 and we are now approaching the end of the month.
>
> The fact that it DID happen, which proves we are too dependent on
> technology and not self sufficient enough, isn't enough?  You'd rather
> argue about when the report was written?  Is -that- what's important?

To each their own. But I like my modern conveniences, and I would like to
keep them functioning well.

"The services that you depend on, all critical web applications and email,
should be based at your  site."

That is key. If you want stuff you can rely on, then you need to take
responsibility to ensure that it does stay up. Most companies don't do
that. I wouldn't say that technology is the Achilles heel, its how that
technology was managed. If that hospitals network had been truly internally
self-sufficient (as I believe it should be) then the bored interns couldn't
have searched the intertubes, that's it.

The key issue here is preparedness. If you use high-tech stuff, and are
prepared in such a way to keep it alive in certain emergencies, then you're
good.

David