[SATLUG] How to remove a swelled APC battery?

Jim Parkhurst JPARKHUR at dot.state.tx.us
Thu Apr 30 12:50:14 CDT 2009

Massive overcharge! I have heard of refrigerating the UPS unit to reduce the swell. Puncturing the battery to release the acid and render the unit trash ... unless you are REALLY, REALLY careful.

>>> Jeremy Mann <jeremymann at gmail.com> 04/30/2009 12:01 >>>
This morning I came in after the wind storm to find 2 of our UPSs
powered down and unable to turn on again. One of them, an APC
BackupPro 1400, I did manage to wiggle the battery out. The 2nd UPS, a
BP 1400, has a really swelled battery. I can't even wiggle it from the
case. Is this UPS toast because the battery will not come out? What
about puncturing the outer shell with a screwdriver and draining some
fluid. Would that help?

--
Jeremy Mann
jeremy at biochem.uthscsa.edu