[SATLUG] Having connection issues with a crossover cable

Christopher Lemire christopher.lemire at gmail.com
Sun Aug 2 02:39:06 CDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 10:51 PM, John Pappas<j at jvpappas.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 00:59, Christopher Lemire <
> christopher.lemire at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> i need help with a crossover connection. i've setup static ip
>> addresses on both ends, /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward = 1, both in the
>> same netmask, lights on ethernet cards both show connectivity,
>> iptables has no rules enabled. What could be the issue here?
>

> Is this an actual ethernet crossover cable (Rusty on the colors so LMGTFY)?
> An incorrectly wired crossover will show lights, but no actual layer 2 comms
> go...
>

>> One ip is set to 192.168.0.1 and the other, 192.168.0.2 and both are
>> in netmask 255.255.255.0.
>>

> I am not sure if the `arp` command is installed by default on your
> system/ubuntu, but on my system it shows all the systems that have
> broadcasted an arp, and AFAIK, arps are not blocked by any firewalls (as
> they almost always work on layer 3, rather than Layer 2 where the MAC
> address resides).  I would check that.  Also check `arping`.  Since arps are
> usually not firewalled, this "ping" should overcome any firewall issues.  DO
> not think that SELinux works at L2 either, so that should verify raw
> connectivity.
>

>> No response from ping on ether end. Ifconfig shows the eth0 is up with
>> static set ips.
>>

> Local box pings work? You could use tcpdump/wireshark to check for activity
> on the wire as well...
>

>> --
>> Christopher Lemire <christopher.lemire at gmail.com>
>> Ubuntu 64 bit Linux Raid Level 0
>> --

I can't remember what I did to make it work. I think i disabled
NetworkManager. But it is working, and I have NetworkManager running,
works better with this long range wifi than wicd in my experience, so
I really can't remember what the trick to making it work was.

Ubuntu 64 bit Linux Raid Level 0

GnuPG Security Key fingerprint = 3E1A 9103 EF3D 4885 6866  E9DE C69F
18B3 E13B 0909