[SATLUG] A Hardware Challenge

Arthur Hall art.hall at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 2 17:59:00 CDT 2009

A donated Compaq Presario 2200 is presenting a hardware challenge.  It has a 1.6GB Seagate hard drive, 48MB of RAM, one CD-ROM drive, one 3 1/2" drive, no expansion slots, no USB ports, and only one IDE cable connector on the mother board.  It's currently running Windows 2000 quite nicely, which would probably delight one of our refugee families.  The first problem is that there's less than a GB of free space left on the hard drive and there's no kind of office suite loaded.  Even Open Office wouldn't have enough space.  The second problem is that they like Windows or at least a close approximation of it, so one of the smaller Linux versions like Puppy or DSL wouldn't appeal to them.  (Besides, I tried loading them and neither would function even as a live CD, let alone an installed version.)  I'd like to put in a larger hard drive and to clone the current drive, since it's working well in spite of the limited RAM.  Hence the challenge - to
 clone you need IDE or USB feeds to the source and target drives, plus a feed to the CD-ROM.  With only one mother board connection for an IDE cable, I'm short one connection for hard drives and the CD-ROM.  Suggestions?
Art