[SATLUG] Disney and HP collaboration - backup, why take chances and why not open-source program ?

D Villarreal dvprogs at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 11:09:53 CDT 2009

> Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2009 13:22:12 -0500 From: Don Wright <
> satlug at sbcglobal.net>
> Subject: [SATLUG] [OT] Disney's A Christmas Carol Train Tour ... in [SA] on
> Aug 14-16 at Sunset Station... "all for FREE!"
> http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/christmascaroltraintour/
> Anyway, the technology is sponsored by HP there's probably some Linux in
> there somewhere.  --Don

>From June 18, 2002
HP Drives Next-generation Animation on Linux with Walt Disney Feature
Animation
http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press/2002/020618c.html?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN
read the fine print at the bottom.

Oct. 9, 2003
HP and Disney Launch 10-year Strategic Alliance
http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press/2003/031009b.html?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN
"...provides Walt Disney Feature Animation with HP's Linux-based
workstations and servers as components in its next-generation digital
animation production pipeline..." More fine print

Interesting history of the two companies working together...
undated one page pdf...
http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/pdf/msg/corp/disney.pdf?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN
html link otherwise...
http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/msg/corp/htmldisney.html?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN
"... In 1938, Disney purchased eight oscillators from HP founders Bill
Hewlett and Dave Packard for use in the sound design of Fantasia..."

virtual museum info
http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/abouthp/histnfacts/museum/earlyinstruments/0008/index.html?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 15:59:00 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Arthur Hall <art.hall at sbcglobal.net>
> Subject: [SATLUG] A Hardware Challenge
> To: San Antonio Linux Users Group <satlug at satlug.org>
> A donated Compaq Presario 2200 is presenting a hardware challenge.  It has
> a 1.6GB Seagate hard drive, 48MB of RAM, one CD-ROM drive, one 3 1/2" drive,
> no expansion slots, no USB ports, and only one IDE cable connector on the
> mother board.  It's currently running Windows 2000 quite nicely, which would
> probably delight one of our refugee families.  The first problem is that
> there's less than a GB of free space left on the hard drive and there's no
> kind of office suite loaded.  Even Open Office wouldn't have enough space.
>  The second problem is that they like Windows or at least a close
> approximation of it, so one of the smaller Linux versions like Puppy or DSL
> wouldn't appeal to them.  (Besides, I tried loading them and neither would
> function even as a live CD, let alone an installed version.)  I'd like to
> put in a larger hard drive and to clone the current drive, since it's
> working well in spite of the limited RAM.  Hence the challenge - to
>  clone you need IDE or USB feeds to the source and target drives, plus a
> feed to the CD-ROM.  With only one mother board connection for an IDE cable,
> I'm short one connection for hard drives and the CD-ROM.  Suggestions?
> Art

check this out...
http://www.partimage.org/Screenshots

Partimage is available in this distro...
http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page

Daniel