[SATLUG] A Hardware Challenge

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Mon Aug 3 15:55:13 CDT 2009

On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 17:59, Arthur Hall <art.hall at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> A donated Compaq Presario 2200 is presenting a hardware challenge.  It has
> a 1.6GB Seagate hard drive, 48MB of RAM, one CD-ROM drive, one 3 1/2" drive,
> no expansion slots, no USB ports, and only one IDE cable connector on the
> mother board.

Wow.  Pretty lean.

> It's currently running Windows 2000 quite nicely, which would probably
> delight one of our refugee families.  The first problem is that there's less
> than a GB of free space left on the hard drive and there's no kind of office
> suite loaded.  Even Open Office wouldn't have enough space.  The second
> problem is that they like Windows or at least a close approximation of it,
> so one of the smaller Linux versions like Puppy or DSL wouldn't appeal to
> them.

OOo should not require more than 500Mb (My OOo3 Programs dir is 357Mb on
Vista64), but a larger HDD would be good.

> (Besides, I tried loading them and neither would function even as a live
> CD, let alone an installed version.)  I'd like to put in a larger hard drive
> and to clone the current drive, since it's working well in spite of the
> limited RAM.  Hence the challenge - to
>  clone you need IDE or USB feeds to the source and target drives, plus a
> feed to the CD-ROM.  With only one mother board connection for an IDE cable,
> I'm short one connection for hard drives and the CD-ROM.  Suggestions?

CloneZIlla/GPartED LiveCDs will do windows and is free.  The hard way would
be to create the Win2000 partition and a second partition on the target
HDD.  Install linux of choice on TargetHDD's second partition.  remove CD,
replace with PATA HDD as slave, boot linux from Target HDD (assume master)
sda2.  use `dd if=/dev/sdb1 of=/dev/sda1 bs=1M` to clone Win2K partition
from source to target.  When done, put cdrom back, boot to GPartD Live and
resize the Win2K partition (Delete the linux partition as it is no longer
needed).

The easier way requires a more capable system to actually do the clone, as
without PCI or USB there is really no way to have 3 drives connected to the
target system at the same time.  I have a couple systems that will work to
do that.

HTH,
John