[SATLUG] A Hardware Challenge

Arthur Hall art.hall at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 3 17:12:22 CDT 2009

John,
Thanks for the detailed response and suggestions.  You're right - it's a really lean machine.  Maybe that's why I'm stubbornly working to try to solve the challenge.

If I install Open Office, that will take up nearly 2/3 of the available space on the current hard drive and leave the new owner less than 300MB to play with.  That doesn't seem like a workable solution.

I have a dumb question.  What would happen if I put the "new," larger, erased and formatted HD on the IDE cable in place of the CD-ROM and just copied the old drive onto the "new" one?  Of course it would work if it could be cloned instead, but the single IDE connection on the mother board seems to preclude that approach.  I'm grasping at straws, I know, but sometimes that's part of the challenge and fun, too.

Thanks again for the help.

Art