[SATLUG] A Hardware Challenge

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Mon Aug 3 21:16:58 CDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 17:12, Arthur Hall <art.hall at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> John,
> Thanks for the detailed response and suggestions.  You're right - it's a
> really lean machine.  Maybe that's why I'm stubbornly working to try to
> solve the challenge.

Understand, I have done similar things.

If I install Open Office, that will take up nearly 2/3 of the available
> space on the current hard drive and leave the new owner less than 300MB to
> play with.  That doesn't seem like a workable solution.

Agreed, but in the same way a 500G HDD on that system seems like overkill
too.

> IWhat would happen if I put the "new," larger, erased and formatted HD on
> the IDE cable in place of the CD-ROM and just copied the old drive onto the
> "new" one?

There are programs that can take and clone a running copy of windows to
another HDD, but they are not free, and when the cost is greater than the
machine is worth, does it make sense to invest there?  If this were linux,
you could absolutely just copy the files with rsync, do some slight
reconfiguring and get it running on a bigger HDD, but this is windows: in
use files are hard to copy, the registry is fragile, drag and drop copying
in windows is terrible, system state is not simple, user states are not
simple, etc.  Being as fragile as windows are (both glass and software),
they are notoriously hard to move/transplant/manipulate.

But hey, give it a shot, let me know how it works and how you did it!

> Of course it would work if it could be cloned instead, but the single IDE
> connection on the mother board seems to preclude that approach.  I'm
> grasping at straws, I know, but sometimes that's part of the challenge and
> fun, too.

The easiest/fastest/cheapest/sanest/most feasible is to use another system
to clone a shut-down windows drive to a larger drive using a bootable CD or
other OS.  I am sure there are lots of ways to get this done other than
that, but as a donation, I myself would try to make it as simple as
possible, and trying to copy a running windows instance is not.  Granted,
this is AFAIK, and hopefully there is a way that I am not aware of.

Anyone have an idea here?

jp