[SATLUG] A Hardware Challenge

Herb Cee hc at lookcee.com
Tue Aug 4 00:07:38 CDT 2009

Tim wrote:
>>> Anyone have an idea here?
>>>
>>> jp
>>> --
>>> I've used xxcopy in the past.  It's free and
>>>
>> supposed to be better than xcopy.  It does an
>> incremental copy.  If it completes with errors run it
>> again until no errors are reported.  It was reasonably
>> fast and worked fine for me a few years ago.http://www.xxcopy.com/xxcopy10.htm
>>

>> After refreshing my memory from the suggested url, it might not work with xp without creating a new mbr.  Maybe copy the i386 folder to the new drive and run setup? ____________________________________________

Tim.  Art is trying to preserve Win 2000 not XP ... but couldn't you run
DOS  fdisk - mbr and restore the boot record. I also wonder if running a
fresh restore before copying and then if it fails to boot clean, from
the new drive, perhaps restore would fix it.

I'm in over my head but I am curious.
herb