[SATLUG] A Hardware Challenge

Tim corpustexn at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 4 08:38:41 CDT 2009

--- On Tue, 8/4/09, John Champion <satlugacct at jchampion.com> wrote:

> From: John Champion <satlugacct at jchampion.com>
> Subject: Re: [SATLUG] A Hardware Challenge
> Date: Tuesday, August 4, 2009, 6:58 AM
> On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 12:07 AM, Herb
> Cee <hc at lookcee.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Tim wrote:
> >
> >> Anyone have an idea here?

> free and

> does an
> errors run it
> was reasonably

> url, it might not work with
> copy the i386 folder to the new drive
> >>>

> >> Tim.  Art is trying to preserve Win 2000 not
> XP ... but couldn't you run
> > DOS  fdisk - mbr and restore the boot record. I
> also wonder if running a
> > fresh restore before copying and then if it fails to
> boot clean, from the
> > new drive, perhaps restore would fix it.
> >

> > I'm in over my head but I am curious.
> > herb
> > --
      OK, win2000, I stand corrected!  I would probably install the new drive in place of the cdrom, copy the i386 folder to the new drive, double click on winnt32.exe,  and install to the new drive.  Of course you need serial numbers and you can find tools that can tell you the existing serial.  Install drivers from the old drive.  Switch drives.  Also he could make a slipstream cd from the old drive and install that way.  That would have some advantages.  Still would need the serial.