[SATLUG] A Hardware Challenge

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Tue Aug 4 10:10:04 CDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 08:38, Tim <corpustexn at yahoo.com> wrote:

>      OK, win2000, I stand corrected!  I would probably install the new
> drive in place of the cdrom, copy the i386 folder to the new drive, double
> click on winnt32.exe,  and install to the new drive.  Of course you need
> serial numbers and you can find tools that can tell you the existing serial.

 That is a good point.  If there is data/settings/whatever that we need to
preserve, then why not just keep that data and then reinstall the OS and
then reconstitute the data.  There are ways to keep/restore user profiles
that is much simpler given the limitations here.

> Also he could make a slipstream cd from the old drive and install that way.
>  That would have some advantages.  Still would need the serial.

Also good point.  Also somewhat easier than the in-place cloning concept
(Simple drive clone on suitable machine is still the easiest).