[SATLUG] A Hardware Challenge

Herb Cee hc at lookcee.com
Tue Aug 4 17:29:27 CDT 2009

John Pappas wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 08:38, Tim <corpustexn at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>      OK, win2000, I stand corrected!  I would probably install the new
>> drive in place of the cdrom, copy the i386 folder to the new drive, double
>> click on winnt32.exe,  and install to the new drive.  Of course you need
>> serial numbers and you can find tools that can tell you the existing serial.
>>

>  That is a good point.  If there is data/settings/whatever that we need to
> preserve, then why not just keep that data and then reinstall the OS and
> then reconstitute the data.  There are ways to keep/restore user profiles
> that is much simpler given the limitations here.
>

>> Also he could make a slipstream cd from the old drive and install that way.
>>  That would have some advantages.  Still would need the serial.
>>

> Also good point.  Also somewhat easier than the in-place cloning concept
> (Simple drive clone on suitable machine is still the easiest).

Yeah I gotta agree John dunno how hard it is to remove that HD from the
skinny box also looking at the spec on that very machine i thought it
looked like Compac had taken some old Lappy mobos and adapted them to a
mini case.  dunno if the orig HD is a 3.5 or 2.5 ... or does that
matter? Have you looked Art cause be much easier to move the 1.6 drive
to a Linux box and clone all the partitions off to the new bigger drive
then put the big drive in and let wimdows find any probs with
addressing. Thats why I think a fresh restore would maybe come in handy.
herb