[SATLUG] Hardware challenge, Part II

Alan Lesmerises alesmerises at satx.rr.com
Thu Aug 6 19:25:30 CDT 2009

I've been working on the old Compaq system Art Hall had asked about
cloning the old HD (from a few days ago), and I've run into an issue
that I can't seem to find an answer for.

I'm trying copy the boot files from the old drive to the new (in a
terminal window running under a live CD version of GPartEd), and when I
go to copy the files I need, I get an error "Cannot create regular file
xxxxxxxx  Permission denied."

I've made sure I was operating as root (su), that the drives were
mounted as rw, and the rw permissions for the mount points are fully
open (chmod 777).  I've tried changing permissions on the files
themselves (they're -rw-------), but it won't let me.

Does anyone recognize what's going on here and know what I can do to
copy these files?

TIA.

Al Lesmerises