[SATLUG] Hardware challenge, Part II

Tim corpustexn at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 6 20:11:23 CDT 2009

--- On Thu, 8/6/09, Alan Lesmerises <alesmerises at satx.rr.com> wrote:

> From: Alan Lesmerises <alesmerises at satx.rr.com>
> Subject: [SATLUG] Hardware challenge, Part II
> To: "SATLUG Mail Group" <satlug at satlug.org>
> Date: Thursday, August 6, 2009, 7:25 PM
> I've been working on the old Compaq
> system Art Hall had asked about cloning the old HD (from a
> few days ago), and I've run into an issue that I can't seem
> to find an answer for.
>
> I'm trying copy the boot files from the old drive to the
> new (in a terminal window running under a live CD version of
> GPartEd), and when I go to copy the files I need, I get an
> error "Cannot create regular file xxxxxxxx  Permission
> denied."
>
> I've made sure I was operating as root (su), that the
> drives were mounted as rw, and the rw permissions for the
> mount points are fully open (chmod 777).  I've tried
> changing permissions on the files themselves (they're
> -rw-------), but it won't let me.
>
> Does anyone recognize what's going on here and know what I
> can do to copy these files?
>
> TIA.
>
> Al Lesmerises

  A few months ago I replaced the 160gig drive in my laptop with a 320 and while my memory isn't what it should be, I think I did with something like dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdc bs=512. Now, that probably isn't exactly right.  And the result was my vista partition and several linux os's were copied over byte for byte; and my 320 is now a 160.  Again a byte for byte.  I switched drives, booted into one of the linux os's, and used gparted to reclaim the other 160 gig.  You should be able to copy the mbr using a similar dd command.  Just my 2 cents.