[SATLUG] Hardware challenge, Part II

Henry Pugsley henry.pugsley at gmail.com
Sun Aug 9 20:03:10 CDT 2009

You really don't want to dd the entire mbr or entire drive if the two
drives are different sizes. The geometry will be different and you
will end up with partitions that do not end on cylinder boundaries
which can cause problems with future partition changes.

If you dd the first 446 bytes of the MBR you will pick up the boot
loader but not the partition table. Create the partitions separately
and use the copy partition feature of GParted. This is the safest way
to copy partitions to a larger or smaller drive.

-Henry

On 8/6/09, Tim <corpustexn at yahoo.com> wrote:

> [...]

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it" - Alan Kay