[SATLUG] Trying to install Fedora 10 on a Dell Dimension 3000

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Mon Aug 10 15:23:37 CDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 14:24, Peter Cross <pjcrux at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello All,
> Trying to install F10 on a Dell Dimension 3000. However the install process
> takes about 5 minutes per page in anaconda. When I boot into windows task
> manager shows 100% CPU utilization. Any thoughts? Is the processor going
> bad? Memory? The board? Can't figure this out.

This is not very clear.  How are you loading F10 and using the Windows task
manager?  Will assume that you have a dual boot system, and you are checking
CPU right after booting Windows.  Windows takes a bit of time to finish
background things.

However, you want to diagnose potential hardware problems, so I will aim
there:

Quick check: BIOS seems to be OK and the system POSTs.  DOes the BIOS
reflect proper CPU, CPU speed, Memory installed, etc?
I would then check the Power Management settings in the BIOS, as sometimes
the CPU scales back and 100% is actually 100% of 30% of the CPU's primary Hz
capability (even on Desktops).

To check memory, I use the MemTest86+ program that is included in many live
CDs, maybe even the install media for Fedora.  I use SysrescueCD for my
hardware diagnostics, but GRC's SpinRite does hard drives better.  Both take
a long time, so be ready to leave the machine alone for 8-24 hours depending
on level of checks selected.

For most linux install processes (Assume FC is the same), there are other
tty's that you can get to with Ctl-Alt-Fx (where x is 1-8, and 7 is usually
the GUI), just like with running linux systems.  Most of the time, basic
stuff like `ps` is available, sometimes even `top`.  You could use that CLI
to do some monitoring to see what is processing.  Most install routines are
not CPU conservative, as the theory is that it is running on a fresh, single
system and will only be done once, so do it right, not fast;  thus install
on a slower system is (you guessed it) slower.  Especially during the YUM
routines.

Do you have the target drive on the same bus as the install media (CD or
DVD)?

If the HDD is beginning to fail, things tend to be slow as well (Try looking
at the other tty's, as IIRC a couple of them have log outputs), see if there
are any IDE retries or things of that nature.  It also may need swap (IIRC
the install routine enables swap after the partitioning phase) to "speed
up".

Once you have collected more detailed info that you can pass on, we can dig
in further.

HTH,
jp