[SATLUG] smallest/lowest power/cost server build

Ernest De Leon edeleonjr at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 22:01:02 CDT 2009

I'm not sure which one would use less power between the mini-itx and the
atom. Atom is powering the netbooks, so I would lean toward that one. I can
definitely tell you that ARM processors are some of the lowest in terms of
power consumption. I turned my NSLU2 (slug) into a web server and it hardly
consumes any power. Now remember that performance will suffer severely down
at those levels of power saving. It is a 266 MHz ARM proc with 32 MB RAM if
my memory serves me correct. I would say that getting a netbook or nettop
with an atom proc should do you fine. Heck, even a new PC from Dell with a
modest C2D would probably consume less power than what you have now. Look on
the Dell outlet site. Sometimes you come across a few really cheap. An older
laptop with a Centrino proc set is also a good choice.