[SATLUG] smallest/lowest power/cost server build

Samuel Leon satlug at net153.net
Tue Aug 11 13:41:26 CDT 2009

Alex Bartonek wrote:
> Right now my webserver is a Dell Dimension L733R. 733mhz, 512megs ram, 160gig hd.  Runs Apache, php, hosts 2 sites, mysql etc.
>
> I've been thinking about getting something real small, mini-itx or Atom based.  I know how much power my server uses (I dont have kill-a-watt to check it with).  Would a mini-itx or atom based system with a laptop hd be less of a power hog?  Its not killing the budget but I wouldnt mind having something with a smaller footprint.
>

> -Alex

My server just went out too.  I bought this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121383 It has
the dual core atom.  I measured it drawing about 38 watts idle and 45
under cpu load. That is just the motherboard and one hard drive.  The
power supply I am using is very old.  I would imagine that buying a new
"green" psu would knock off 5-10 watts, plus use a laptop hard drive
instead and that would knock off another 5-8 watts.  The board has very
small heatsinks.  They don't work too good and the small fan is noisy so
I took the fan off and hung a big case fan in front of it with string.

Sam