[SATLUG] Does i386 mean i386 anymore?

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 22:46:54 CDT 2009

Cheryl Holmes wrote:
> I thpoought it was kept because so many ppl still run really older
> machines..these older i386's tend to run great Linux...too bad they dropped
> the i386.  Most everyone I know is running on them...seniors and older folks
> anyway...c

Well the i386 was first in production in 1986.  The i486 in 1989.  The maximum
clock speed for a i386 was 40MHz.  No software even halfway modern would run on
it.    The i386 was produced through 2007, but that was for embedded purposes.
I doubt that a 386 based PC system has been available for at least 15 years.

   -- Bruce