[SATLUG] vim on redhat.

steve kolars bkfuth at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 03:31:27 CDT 2009

Enrique,

I do not have my Linux machine here.  Do a "yum search vim".  You want to do
a "Yum install vim-enhanced-blah-blah-blah".  Obviously the search will tell
you what to fill in for the blah blah blah.  For some reason Redhat ships a
very striped down version of vim.  What is vim without the bells and
whistles?  Go figure.

If your "yum search vim" only turns up the two it gave you before it gave
you before you can always go to vim.org, get the latest tarball, and install
vim from source.  It is a very easy install.

Steve

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 3:21 AM, Enrique Sanchez <
esanchezvela.satlug at gmail.com> wrote:

> I just read an article in a magazine regarding the VIM packages in
> redhat and I just happen to have a request to install the complete
> version,  I ran a query using yum but it did not retrun anything
> significant, it might well be I am not looking for the right term.
>
> I ran the yum search vim and only got two entries....
>
> vim-common.i386 and vim-minimal.i386
>
> but it looks like I have these already installed, I'd appreciate if
> anyone can point me into the complete version of the package.
>

> thank you,
> esv.
>

> --
> Enrique Sanchez Vela

()    ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail
/\    www.asciiribbon.org - against proprietary attachments