[SATLUG] Does i386 mean i386 anymore?

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Wed Aug 12 15:08:40 CDT 2009

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009, FIRESTORM_v1 wrote:

> I downloaded and installed CentOS5 (i386) onto a hard drive for my
> Neoware CA-5 and when I put it in the Neoware, it was caught in a boot
> loop.  Right after grub would load the initrd for the kernel, it'd
> reboot.

CentOS 5 is unlikely to ever support i386, i486, or i586 ---
the name is a vestigial artifact from gcc development. So:

Q.	Does i386 mean i386 anymore?
A.	Read the fine print, but probably not as you expect

I blogged about this as to QA-ing the CentOS 4.8 update
earlier in the week, as to a K6-II
 	http://orcorc.blogspot.com/2009/08/beta-testing-centos-48-with-amd-k6-ii.html
and a follow up

-- Russ herrold