[SATLUG] First question - RAID5 quit working

Tim corpustexn at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 16 12:07:33 CDT 2009

--- On Sun, 8/16/09, David Labens <adlabens at swbell.net> wrote:

> [...]
> motherboard
> > & AMD 6400 processor & 4 gb RAM.  It's got an
> 80 gb
> > HDD that is used exclusively for the OS (Linux Ubuntu
> 8.10
> > Server, running mostly headless unless boot-up visual
> is
> > required, like right now), and 4 250 gb HDDs that are
> s/w
> > configured as RAID5.
> >
> > Everything has worked exceptionally well (built in
> > December, not a glitch until 2 weeks ago), then,
> suddenly, I
> > started getting errors trying to rename a folder.  I
> did a
> > shut-down and reboot, and the RAID5 is no longer
> mounting.
> >
> > Here's some current diagnostics:
> >
> > root at RCH-SERVER:/boot/grub# cat /proc/mdstat
> > Personalities : [linear] [multipath] [raid0] [raid1]
> > [raid6] [raid5] [raid4] [raid10]
> > md0 : inactive sde1[0](S) sdc1[4](S) sdb1[2](S)
> sda1[1](S)
> >       976783360 blocks super 1.0
> >
> > unused devices: <none>
> >
> > And, I've tried:
> >
> > root at RCH-SERVER:/home/admiral# mdadm --assemble
> --scan
> >
> >     mdadm: /dev/md/0 assembled from 2 drives
> > - not enough to start the array.
> >
> > I KNOW that two brand new Western Digital HDDs did not
> go
> > bad simultaneously, and really doubt that either of
> them
> > went bad.  I read that it's a known problem that they
> get
> > busied out by the OS, so I'm trying thinking this is
> the
> > issue.
> >
> > UNFORTUNATELY, I put off buying 1 tb drives for
> backup, and
> > all our recipes, family pics, real estate, music, etc.
> is on
> > there.  I have just received and installed one on in
> my Win
> > XP Pro box, so I'm ready to do a first backup
> IMMEDIATELY
> > upon getting the RAID5 array back working.
> >
> > Any suggestions?  Any thoughts?  We're on a limited
> > budget, but I'd be willing to pay someone who can make
> it
> > work!
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > David Labens
> >
> > San Antonio, TX
> >

> I ran:
>

> root at RCH-SERVER:/home/admiral# mdadm --misc --detail
> /dev/md0
>
> mdadm: md device /dev/md0 does not appear to be active.
>

> So, I ran:
>

> root at RCH-SERVER:/home/admiral# mdadm --assemble /dev/md0
> /dev/sde1 /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1
>
> mdadm: /dev/md0 assembled from 2 drives - not enough to
> start the array.
>

> Which is the same result that I got with:
>

> root at RCH-SERVER:/home/admiral# mdadm --assemble --scan
>
> mdadm: /dev/md/0 assembled from 2 drives - not enough to

Did you recheck your connections or somehow verify that the two drives that are not seen are spinning up.  mdadm --examine on each of the two drives not responding doesn't tell much, but might be worth a try. Also modprobe raid5 in case your module isn't loading.  I know /proc/mdstat implies it is, still...!