[SATLUG] First question - RAID5 quit working

David Labens adlabens at swbell.net
Mon Aug 17 00:36:48 CDT 2009

Don,

I've done apt-get to download & install smartctl.  But, the "short self-test" alludes me.  If you're talking about:

smartctl /dev/sda -i

Then it responds with:

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Model Family:     Western Digital Caviar Second Generation Serial ATA family
Device Model:     WDC WD2500AAKS-00VSA0
Serial Number:    WD-WMART1760390
Firmware Version: 01.01B01
User Capacity:    250,059,350,016 bytes
Device is:        In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
ATA Version is:   8
ATA Standard is:  Exact ATA specification draft version not indicated
Local Time is:    Sun Aug 16 23:41:57 2009 CDT
SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is: Enabled

and it has the exact same information for sdb, sdc, & sde (sdd is the 80 gb OS drive), with the only exception being the device model & serial # (the model # is the same, but has a different extension - presumably mfg batch#).

Is that the "short self-test" to which you were referring?

Thanks,
David Labens

San Antonio, TX