[SATLUG] First question - RAID5 quit working - short self-test question

D Villarreal dvprogs at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 00:59:21 CDT 2009

> I've done apt-get to download & install smartctl.  But, the "short
> self-test" alludes me.  If you're talking about:
> smartctl /dev/sda -i
>
> Then it responds with:

OPTIONS
The options are grouped below into several categories.  smartctl will
execute the corresponding commands in the order: INFORMATION,
ENABLE/DISABLE, DISPLAY
       DATA, RUN/ABORT TESTS.

       SCSI  devices  only accept the options -h, -V, -i, -a, -A, -d, -s,
-S,-H, -t, -C, -l background, -l error, -l selftest, -r, and -X.  TapeAlert
devices only
       accept the options -h, -V, -i, -a, -A, -d, -s, -S, -t, -l error, -l
selftest, -r, and -H.

       Long options  are  not  supported  on  all  systems.   Use ´smartctl
-h´ to see the available options.

SHOW INFORMATION OPTIONS:
[stuff deleted]
-a, --all
              Prints all SMART information about the disk, or TapeAlert
information about the tape drive or changer.  For ATA devices this is
equivalent to
              ´-H -i -c -A -l error -l selftest -l selective´
              and for SCSI, this is equivalent to
              ´-H -i -A -l error -l selftest´.
              Note that for ATA disks this does not enable the ´-l
directory´ option.