[SATLUG] First question - RAID5 quit working

Don Wright satlug at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 17 01:25:23 CDT 2009

On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 22:36:48 -0700 (PDT), David Labens
<adlabens at swbell.net> wrote:

>I've done apt-get to download & install smartctl.  But, the "short self-test" alludes me.

The documentation (man page etc.) can be pretty confusing at first. The
smartmontools support an incredible variety of drives, only a few of
which are commonly found in PCs. Most of the options are to help
smartctl know what language and dialect the drive understands.

One thing you need to know is that smartctl is talking to the
microcontroller on the drive, and the drive's MCU is actually the one
running the tests.

Try "smartctl /dev/sda -d ata -t short"
the '-d ata' is recommended so smartctl knows that /dev/sda is a serial
ata device and not a SCSI drive.

The response will tell you how many minutes to wait. When time is up,
enter "smartctl /dev/sda -d ata -l selftest" to display the log. The top
line is the most recent test.

You can also use "smartctl /dev/sda -d ata -H" to get a quick report of
drive health. For more details on all of this see the smartctl man page,
or the website mentioned earlier. Once you have a few examples you
should start understanding the rest.  --Don

--
Migraine: All the fun of a hangover without the bother of
getting drunk.