[SATLUG] Does i386 mean i386 anymore?

Jonathan Hull masterr at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 03:59:27 CDT 2009

I've run into this before. I was trying to install the "i386" version
of CentOS 5.3 on my Fit-PC (1st gen) which has an AMD Geode CPU. This
is an i686 CPU missing one instruction (I forget which one), thus
CentOS and other distros see it as "i586". The "i386" version of
CentOS refused to install because apparently it was actually compiled
for "i686". I ended up using another distro entirely after
unsuccessfully trying to work around it for a couple of hours.

-Jon