[SATLUG] 1st question - RAID5 quit - Short tests completed

Samuel Leon satlug at net153.net
Mon Aug 17 13:25:57 CDT 2009

Jeremy Mann wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 11:19 AM, David Labens<adlabens at swbell.net> wrote:
>> Sam, Thanks for the response.  I can't do anything with it until I get home this evening anyway, so waiting is a requirement regardless of anyone's response!
>>
>> I can order a new 250 gb HDD & probably have it here by the weekend - probably a little cheaper now, too ;+)
>>
>> Ok, I now return to my regularly scheduled workload!
>
> Since only 1 drive is bad, why can't you just mark that drive as
> offline, shutdown the computer and put a new drive in, and hotadd the
> new drive to the array? This should start the rebuilding process
> automatically.

According to the original email, 3 drives are missing from the array. So
  we now know that one drive is bad.  But what about the other 2?  Is
the data on them in sync or is it possible that one of them might have
gotten knocked out of the array many months ago?  mdadm might be smart
enough to figure it out but I don't know...

Sam