[SATLUG] 1st question - RAID5 quit - Short tests completed

David Labens adlabens at swbell.net
Mon Aug 17 15:52:41 CDT 2009

Don,  I'll reseat all the connectors on sdc this evening.  THANK you for the detailed explanation.  And, I'll post the results of the "mdadm --examine /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sde1" test this evening, also.

The data is important, but the most of it is pictures, and I've got a lot of them copied, just nothing from the past year.  The rest of it is recipes, old data from a real estate venture that's been completed & probably won't be needed again, and music that can be replaced.  I don't want to lose the pictures, but we still have the kids ;+) and are still taking pictures, so the pictures - tho major compared to the other data - are really minor.  I'd have to discuss with April the costs of a recovery service, but I've heard of SpinRite, and heard good things, so we'll probably go that route.

Someone mentioned having extra drives, and the warrantee.  I'll order a new replacement drive and pay for it, then will pursue replacement - under warrantee - of the defective drive after this is resolved.  That way, we'll ultimately end up with an extra drive.

And, I will start a regular backup routine, AND, I will install the APC UPS that we got for this thing - including the auto-shut-down connections & software.

BACK TO WORK!!!

David Labens
San Antonio, TX