[SATLUG] First question - RAID5 quit working - smartctl -a /dev/sdc

Don Wright satlug at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 18 00:20:45 CDT 2009

Samuel Leon <satlug at net153.net> wrote:

>Hmm, yea it is getting bad sectors so it is on it's way out
>http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=active&q=Current_Pending_Sector++Offline_Uncorrectable&btnG=Search
>
>Sam

The WHEN_FAILED column doesn't show a failure, so I won't write off the
drive just yet. Let's try the long selftest (same syntax as the short
test but -t long instead of short) and see how far it gets. I'd also try
a different SATA data cable just to be sure.

None of this means I won't start the warranty exchange process as soon
as things settle. If the factory diagnostic program (usually part of the
warranty procedure) says it's bad enough to exchange, it's gone.

Glad to see several of us working on this one. We're definitely making
progress!  --Don

--
A computer is a hole in your desk you pour time into.