[SATLUG] smallest/lowest power/cost server build

Howard Haradon hharadon at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 07:28:47 CDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 3:52 AM, Jonathan Hull<masterr at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've always liked the Fit-PC:
>
> http://www.fit-pc.com
>
> I bought two of the first gen version, one of which is my router. It's
> not available anymore but I assume the 2nd gen version is just as
> good, plus wifi (only one ethernet port now, though). It is very low
> power (less than 10W according to my calculations on the first gen)
> and small.
> -Jon

This Addonics NAS server ought to be the ultimate in low
power consumption, but you have to add on whatever USB
device is attached.  It will handle either disk or print devices
and claims to power 2.5inch drives via USB.  It has power,
fast Ethernet, and USB ports.  Seems to be running some
sort of Linux thin client.  The price is around $55 shipped.
I am thinking hard about this deal.
Here is a good review:

http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/01/05/review-addonics-usb-nas-adapter/

HH