[SATLUG] 1st Q? - RAID5 quit working - Cables swapped & retest results

Jeremy Mann jeremymann at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 16:10:52 CDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 3:45 PM, David Labens<adlabens at swbell.net> wrote:
> Jeremy, that was actually option 2.  I guess the formatting didn't come
> through.  I hadn't considered that it would be stripped.  Sorry.
>

> Yes, I'm figuring just replacing the damaged drive & having the
> system do the rebuild.  But, I've got VERY limited knowledge of this,
> and someone else may look at the test results and recognize other red
> flags that I may be missing.

Since I've done this in the past I'll share my knowledge. BEFORE you
power down the system to change the drive, you first need to tell the
array to remove sdc:

mdadm --fail /dev/md0 /dev/sdc1
mdadm --remove /dev/md0 /dev/sdc1

Power down the system and change the drive. Now you have to add it to
existing array. Once you add it, the rebuilding process will begin. I
would suggest to NOT touch the system until the rebuild is done.

Adding it back in:
mdadm --manage /dev/md0 --add /dev/sdc1

You can check the status of the array with:

cat /proc/mdstat

--
Jeremy Mann
jeremy at biochem.uthscsa.edu