[SATLUG] 1st Q? - RAID5 quit working - Cables swapped & retest results

Geoff geofff at w5omr.shacknet.nu
Thu Aug 20 13:19:22 CDT 2009

Samuel Leon wrote:
> David Labens wrote:
>> Jeremy, I appreciate your guidance.  However, I don't remember if I
>> need to do any kind of formatting on the new drive before I try to add
>> it in.  I'm not even getting the drive till tomorrow, so I'm not in
>> "mad-rush" mode, but don't want to ask in the heat of the install!
>>
>> David Labens
>
> This is the quick way.  Insert the new disk and run:
> sfdisk -d /dev/sdb | sfdisk --force /dev/sdc
>
> which will copy the partition layout of sdb onto sdc all in one step.

Sam, will this work if, say, I wanted to move the data off of a 30gig
drive onto an 80gig drive?

My openSuSE 10.0 server (which has been in operation since 2002) is
running the host OS on a 30gig drive.  dev/sda2/swap, /dev/sda1/boot,
and /dev/sda3 is the rest.  the 30gig is full.  the 80gig would take a
long time to fill and I have quite a few of those.  Need more space.

Thanks, in advance, for any help.

-Geoff