[SATLUG] My Linux Blog

Christopher Lemire christopher.lemire at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 18:39:41 CDT 2009

> The Blog is updated, and there is just one last day to vote, so hurry
> and get your opinion in. Also it has been updated with new content.
> The author who goes by the alias Aerol, wants someone to correct his
> regex in Python. He knows the answer. It's just a test to see if you
> have learned.

Here are the results of the poll for the Next Blog Topic. It just
finished today.

Computer Jargon Definitions

  5 (33%)

How to synchronize all of your calendars in Windows, Linux, and Mobile Phone

  1 (6%)

Breaking into your own Wireless Network with all types of Encryption/Security

  1 (6%)

Blocking advertisements in Google Chrome and Linux Chromium

  0 (0%)

Magic Jack in Linux and use of it with Skype

  3 (20%)

Regular Expressions with egrep and Bash

  1 (6%)

Safely rebooting a frozen system

  2 (13%)

Breaking passwords with John The Ripper Clusters

  6 (40%)

How to use your webcam as a security motion detecting camera in Linux

  2 (13%)

IMAP + GMail + Mutt or Epiphany

  0 (0%)

How to boost the performance of your computer with Striping RAID and
Overclocking

  1 (6%)

How to have a POWERFUL Wifi setup that can connect a mile away

  5 (33%)

Best way to do automated backups

  4 (26%)

Votes so far: 15
Poll closed

So Breaking passwords with John The Ripper Clusters won, so today and
some Linux and *nix buddies started to setup the John The Ripper
Cluster over a virtual private network and communicating with psi in
our own Jabber Conference room. For a while, I was stumped, but
determined to make this work because I kept getting the message "No
password hashes loaded". I tried manually creating the file with hash
for JTR to break, creating it with unshadow, and several other
attempts to make this work, so I finally put into google the "No
password hashes loaded". What I found out is since the md5 hash
exploit which means you can get any password from an md5 hash, Ubuntu
has upgraded their hashes in the /etc/shadow to SHA2. Now, there are
going to be a lot of disappointed people :( . I may just need to go
with the next most popular vote. This email is a few months old, so I
need to do an svn checkout or a git clone, and see what progress they
have made as well as getting on the mailing list and asking there.

http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2009/06/22/3

Ubuntu 64 bit Linux Raid Level 0

GnuPG Security Key fingerprint = 3E1A 9103 EF3D 4885 6866  E9DE C69F
18B3 E13B 0909

Need Tech Support and Stay on Top of Linux Technology? Visit my Blog.

http://linuxinnovations.blogspot.com/

My PHPbb3 Forum will be back online soon. I just found high a high
bandwidth connection.