[SATLUG] 1st Q? - RAID5 quit working - Cables swapped & retest results

Samuel Leon satlug at net153.net
Thu Aug 20 23:09:31 CDT 2009

Geoff wrote:
> Samuel Leon wrote:
>> David Labens wrote:
>>> Jeremy, I appreciate your guidance.  However, I don't remember if I
>>> need to do any kind of formatting on the new drive before I try to add
>>> it in.  I'm not even getting the drive till tomorrow, so I'm not in
>>> "mad-rush" mode, but don't want to ask in the heat of the install!
>>>
>>> David Labens
>> This is the quick way.  Insert the new disk and run:
>> sfdisk -d /dev/sdb | sfdisk --force /dev/sdc
>>
>> which will copy the partition layout of sdb onto sdc all in one step.
>
> Sam, will this work if, say, I wanted to move the data off of a 30gig
> drive onto an 80gig drive?
>
> My openSuSE 10.0 server (which has been in operation since 2002) is
> running the host OS on a 30gig drive.  dev/sda2/swap, /dev/sda1/boot,
> and /dev/sda3 is the rest.  the 30gig is full.  the 80gig would take a
> long time to fill and I have quite a few of those.  Need more space.
>
> Thanks, in advance, for any help.
>
> -Geoff

  What sfdisk will do is only copy the partition tables.  It will not
copy any data.  So what you would end up with is an 80gb disk with ~50gb
unpartitioned space and you would still have to create your ext3 file
system.  It works great with mdadm since it wants all partition to be
similar and it will automatically create the raid filesystem