[SATLUG] 1st Q? - RAID5 quit working - Attempting recovery #2

Samuel Leon satlug at net153.net
Fri Aug 21 09:51:04 CDT 2009

David Labens wrote:
> Sam,
>
> Thank you.  I found this tutorial:
> http://www.debianadmin.com/recover-data-from-a-dead-hard-drive-using-ddrescue.html
>
> and have done
> apt-get install ddrescue
>
> I'll read more on it this evening, before I try to make it work.
>
> Thanks,
> David Labens

I found this: http://www.forensicswiki.org/wiki/Ddrescue

So:

First you copy as much data as possible, without retrying or splitting
sectors:

     ddrescue --no-split /dev/sdc /dev/newdrive logfile

Now let it retry previous errors 3 times, using uncached reads:

     ddrescue --direct --max-retries=3 /dev/sdc /dev/newdrive logfile

If that fails you can try again but retrimmed, so it tries to reread
full sectors:

     ddrescue --direct --retrim --max-retries=3 /dev/sdc /dev/newdrive
logfile

I don't know what gets written to logfile or where it gets written at
(perhaps /root/logfile?) But if it is not too big please let us see it :)

Also you might try putting the bad harddrive in different positions (ie,
upside down, sideways) to see if that helps with getting the data off of it.

Sam