[SATLUG] 1st Q? - RAID5 quit working - Attempting recovery #2

David Labens adlabens at swbell.net
Fri Aug 21 15:27:51 CDT 2009

Freezing the drive?  Funny that should be mentioned.  I JUST NOW finished repairing DSL at a customer's home, and HE suggested that freezing the drive might make it work.  However, he explained that the read would need to be completed by the time the drive thaws out and before the moisture inside condenses.  Considering it's 250 gb, I'm inclined to think that it would thaw faster than it could be fully read.  HOWEVER, I would consider that as an option of last resort.

I'd never heard of such a thing till today, then from two different sources!

Freezing causes everything to shrink JUST ENOUGH to let it move freely.  However, I don't think moving components are the problem.  "I don't think." - which may be a problem!

Thanks

David Labens
San Antonio, TX